Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Interesting Week in being a Jew

It has been an interesting week in being a Jew.

Making a snarky comment that Trump's Holocaust Day message may be an appeal to the left, led to my explaining how much anti-Jewish* expression I had experienced from the left -- which I gather was something of a surprise.

Then, Eugenia (the daughter) and I saw a significant number of signs at the Westlake pro-refugee rally expressing Jewish solidarity.  

Finally, Sam (the son), who is in middle school reported that 'Jew' was now being used as a generic insult, by some students, even to non-Jews (like gay).

He himself had been called 'f---ing Jew' on a couple of occaisions.  (And yes we have mentioned this to the principal.)

I don't think this will come as much of a surprise to my fellows.

Ironically, the strip from the comic Retail expresses my feelings about how the generality might see this:





----------
*I prefer anti-Jewish to anti-semitism, a term implicitly coined to replace Judenhass (Jew Hater), by Judenhassen, with something that sounded more scientific.


0 comments:

Post a Comment