Friday, April 8, 2016

It's a poor sword that cuts but one way.

I have a feeling that the latest campaign news, Bernie Sanders plans short hiatus from New York campaign trail to speak at the Vatican, will make so people happy.

I am not one of them.

Whatever virtues the current Pope has, to my mind this is inappropriate.

The Pope is a foreign leader (Prince Bishop of the Vatican City State), so he (like Netanyahu) should have no role in American elections.*

The United States is supposed to be republic of laws accepted and applying to people of fundamentally differing views**, and issues are supposed to be decided in conversation over the merits of the creation and enforcement of those laws.

Even a domestic a religious leader should no more role than that of any citizen, and appeal to religious argument is in and of itself dangerous to a republic.

I may be motivated by my religious upbringing to form certain political and economic positions one thing.  I cannot, and will not expect anyone (even my own people) to accept that as a valid political argument.

That one might (as I do to some degree) agree with the Pope's conclusions, does not validate the appeal to religious authority in public discourse. 

If it did, what of the Pope's other pronouncements, or the positions of the President of the Church of Latter Days Saints, the President of the Southern Baptist Convention, or the Lubavicher Rebbe?

I will not lift this sword, as I do not want it lifted by my enemies.


-----
* I am no more willing to believe that this invitation was extended without consideration of American domestic politics that Netanyahu's speech to Congress.

** A paraphrase of Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.: 'A Constitution is made for people of fundamentally differing views'.

0 comments:

Post a Comment